(I am very sorry that I’ve been so slack with blogging recently. Madelyn tires me out ;) Her 12 month old update is coming soon, I promise!)
A party! A party!
Madelyn’s first birthday party was so much fun. I loved being a real mum planning a real birthday party for my real daughter. We just had a nice, simple afternoon tea at our house with driveway chalk, a sandpit, a little playground and lots of grass. We were going to have a bouncy castle too, but it was possibly the most windy day of the whole summer. Madelyn loved having all her friends and family with her to celebrate her special day.
It was my husband’s twenty sixth birthday, so I’ve written a list of one thing I love about him for every year of his life. I did the same thing three years ago, but I’ve done this list without looking at the last one, so hopefully I don’t double up.
1. His wisdom
2. His loyalty
3. His sense of humour
4. That he works so hard so that I can stay home with Madelyn
5. How he is so good at keeping secrets
6. And how he knows when to keep said secrets, and when it’s okay to tell others
7. The admiration and trust in Madelyn’s voice when she says “Daddy”
8. How smart he is
9. His honesty
10. How easily he gets along with everyone he meets
11. How much the kids he works with love him
12. The way he gains the respect of the kids he works with
13. How level-headed he is
14. His ability to stay calm in an emergency 15. How logical he is 16. How good he is with money 17. His leadership 18. His confidence 19. How much he loves Madelyn 20. How understanding he is 21. How he remains in control of his emotions 22. His support of me as Madelyn’s mother 23. His hospitality 24. His face 25. How much fun it is to do life with him 26. The way we have become so comfortable with each other
“I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on earth. I hold myself supremely blest — blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband’s life as fully as he is mine.” ― Charlotte Brontë (Jane Eyre)
Today you have been alive for a quarter of a century. In this time, you have done many things to be proud of. But in all your life so far, I think you can be most proud of the past two weeks. You are an incredible father.
I always knew that you would be, but I still find myself surprised at just how overwhelmingly good you are. There is no way I could have done these past two weeks without you. Thank you for waking up in the dead of the night to make me toast and dry my tears. Thank you for passing me the water when I can’t reach it because I’m feeding Madelyn. Thank you for making me a soft boiled egg every morning. Thank you for turning the DVDs on for me. Thank you for telling me I’m doing a great job. Thank you for laughing with me. Thank you for being a steady, constant, encouraging husband.
I love the look of peace and awe that passes over Madelyn’s face when you hold her and talk to her. She knows her daddy’s voice, and she knows her daddy loves her. She will know the Father heart of God, because she sees it in you.
You are more than I could ever have hoped for. We are so lucky to have you.
I did it, I remembered. His birthday was actually on Tuesday, but Tuesdays are crazy in our house so I didn’t get a chance to do it then. But I did remember, so here is a list of 23 things I love about my husband:
1. That he got up and did my breakfast dishes on his birthday so that I could relax before work
2. His honesty
3. His sense of humour
4. How easily he gets along with people
5. Talking late at night with him about everything and nothing
6. The freedom I have to be myself around him
7. His ideas
8. His deep voice
9. His big hands
10. How smart and logical he is
11. The way he supports me in everything I do
12. His inherent faith in the goodness of God
13. The fact that he doesn’t commit to anything that he isn’t whole-heartedly passionate about
14. How that means he must be passionate about me
15. His kisses
16. His relaxed and easy going attitude
17. The strength of his character
18. His physical strength
19. How understanding he is
20. How he senses that I’m tired or sick and looks after me without me even needing to say anything
21. His confidence
22. That he is not afraid to share his opinion with people
23. The way he loves me in the everyday things of life
“To fall in love is easy, even to remain in it is not difficult; our human loneliness is cause enough. But it is a hard quest worth making to find a comrade through whose steady presence one becomes steadily the person one desires to be.”
– Anna Louise Strong